Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tutorial Update and Trip Planning

Hey everyone!


I know it's been a while since my last post, but I didn't think you'd be interested in my weekend activity--namely, laundry. So fun, right?


Well, all of my roommates were in Scotland last weekend, so I had the room to myself and used to to get organized. I've been working on papers on Coleridge's poetry (which I turned in yesterday) and one on the novel Great Expectations (which I should really be working on now!) in order to get ready for my most exciting bit of news--I'm going to Scotland this weekend!


I'm so, so excited to get to go--it's one of the things on my "bucket list." Here's the plan--


I'll leave Oxford after my tutorial tomorrow and take a train to Edinburgh. I'm staying the night there and then Friday at 8:00 am I set off on a tour of the Highlands and the Isle of Skye. Here's the description from the tour website:


Day One
Edinburgh/Glasgow to Inverness (2 nights
)
Departing from Edinburgh or Glasgow we make our way to lonely Rannoch Moor and then into Glen Coe, Scotland’s most famous glen and the scene of the terrible massacre in 1692. We will make a stop in the midst of this awe-inspiring scenery so you can enjoy the magic of this special place.
From Fort William the striking scenery of the Great Glen unfolds ahead of us – first Loch Lochy, then Loch Oich and finally Loch Ness. We will travel to the attractive village of Fort Augustus then drive the entire length of Loch Ness. There is a stop at Urquhart Castle where you can visit the castle and enjoy a short cruise on the loch (optional). Shortly we will arrive in Inverness, our home for the next two nights.
Day Two
The Magical Isle
Today we enjoy a full day excursion to the beautiful island of Skye. From Inverness we travel through pretty Glen Carron to Kyle of Lochalsh then "over the sea to Skye” by way of the road bridge. After a stop for lunch we take the stunningly beautiful road through Glen Suardal which provides breathtaking views of the Red Cuillin Hills. We’ll have an extended stop in Elgol where there are superb views of the Black Cuillin Hills and, if the weather is kind to us, to Rum and the Small Isles.
A real highlight is our stop at Eilean Donan Castle, perched on its island at the head of Loch Duich. Here you have the option of visiting this most picturesque of castles. Our return to Inverness will take us through Glen Shiel where we will see the "Five Sisters" mountain range.
Day Three
Inverness to Edinburgh/Glasgow
This morning there is an excursion through the Black Isle to the picturesque village of Cromarty. Later there is free time in Inverness for individual sightseeing or shopping before we join our motorcoach for a spectacular drive south through the Highlands. From the Spey Valley and the Cairngorm Mountains we travel through Glen Garry to enjoy scenic views of picturesque Blair Castle. After a break we’ll make our way through the gentle rolling countryside towards Perth then onwards to Edinburgh or Glasgow.


Then Monday I'll be seeing as much of Edinburgh as I can before my train leaves to take me back to Oxford!

Basically this tour is a whirlwind of Scottish "highlights." But looking at the maps, I've already decided that I'll have to come back at some point. I won't be blogging this weekend because I'm taking a break from my computer--I'm tired of constantly checking e-mail, facebook, and all that stuff. I'm so excited to be able to go on a trip and see things I've always wanted to see without having to worry about school or anything! So, you can expect a pretty long post (or series of posts) next week sometime! I'm planning on exhausting my camera, so keep checking in!

Thanks so much for your continued prayers and support!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment