Friday, May 6, 2011

1st Week

Hey everyone!


This has been a pretty busy week. I had my first tutorials this week, and I'm really excited to start my official Oxford Term.

Tuesday was my meeting with my Romantic Lit class. There are three of us in the same course, and we're writing a total of 5 papers. After some introductory remarks, we were assigned to read Wordsworth and Coleridge's Lyrical Ballads. The Preface is sort of like a romantic 'manifesto,' and it includes poems like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. 


My second tutorial was on Wednesday, but we'll actually be meeting on Thursdays from now on. This course is just me and the professor, and we're focusing on the nineteenth century novel, specifically the Victorian period. My professor seems really flexible about what we study. For example, I'm reading Jane Eyre this week. (Which, for those of you who know me, is one of my favorite books of all time!) And she said that if I hit on something in my research this week that interests me, we can make that the focus of our second week together.

So, I'm really, really excited to get reading and writing on these fun topics. I enjoyed my seminar, but because we were limited to four choices, the topics weren't my favorite. For the last 8 weeks I'll have the freedom to pick what I'd like to study and research. That's the "Oxford Way," I suppose!

Tomorrow we're taking a day trip to Bath, so check back for pictures and updates!

Have a fabulous Friday!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment