Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday in Oxford


Today was a slower day in Oxford. We didn't go anywhere exciting or see any sheep, but classes start tomorrow so everyone was finishing up last minute reading. In order to eat at the dining hall "in college" (i.e. at Keble College, our college in Oxford) you have to book your meals online. It's like making a dinner reservation, and you must have it made before 10 am. During term time breakfast is a come-and-go affair, so you don't have to book that. But we did have to book Sunday brunch. Next Sunday I'm going to try out a church or two, but this week I ate at the hall with members of the group.

The rumors are true, they really do eat beans with breakfast in England. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, but it's a fact of life!

After brunch I wandered around for a little bit. I went inside Blackwell's bookstore, which was amazing! It has like 7 floors full of books. Then I bought my school supplies and such and found my way back to the UGA house. If you're ever looking for a fun vacation spot, check out Oxford--today they were having a Chocolate festival on Broad Street. It really does sound fake.

Then I spent a slow afternoon reading and studying (and dozing) before dinner in hall at 7. I haven't taken any pictures of Keble yet, but the dining hall is absolutely beautiful. There's a high table and then three looooong tables with benches. Tonight we had lamb, roasted potatoes, and carrots, with cheesecake for dessert. The lamb was interesting, but I probably wouldn't order it if I had other choices.

Classes start tomorrow and I have one seminar in the house from 11 to 1--"Tales of Unrest." We'll be talking about the book King Solomon's Mines.

Sorry it's a short post, but there wasn't that much going on here!

Talk to you later!

1 comment:

  1. S,

    I'm digging your blog. Miss you like crazy!
    Love,
    the other S

    ReplyDelete