Sunday, April 10, 2011

"I Dreamed a Dream..."

Hey guys!

Sorry it's been a few days since my last post, things have been busy yet boring around here. I think my next post will probably be about our daily routine here in the house, but I wanted to fill you in on the wonderful day I had yesterday!

I guess I should start at the beginning. On Friday, my friend Nicole and I avoided schoolwork by going shopping. It started out as a shampoo run and turned into an afternoon getting cookies other girl stuff (sunglasses, headbands, hats). We were commiserating over how we felt like our seminars were eating up our travel time, and the thought struck us. Why not just go to London for the day? Instead of complaining about not traveling, we decided we would grab a bus in the early afternoon on Saturday and spend the evening in London. Then I threw out the thought of going to see a play. What play? I've been dying to see Les Miserables, and what better place than London?

So after more studying and dinner that night we started planning out our course. It's amazing what the internet can do, because we were able to purchase tickets for the next night on the second row of the "dress circle" or balcony level. That's my favorite place to sit, anyways, because I'm so short that when I sit on the main level I can never see anything. So we were all really, really excited!!

We left the house at about 11 yesterday morning, and our bus left the station at about 12. But because of other stops and traffic, we didn't make it to the city until about 2. Since we didn't really have time to do much until the show started, we managed a whirlwind walking tour of a lot of the major buildings. First stop: Buckingham Palace






Next, Big Ben,  and the Houses of Parliament:





We also caught sight of the London Eye, the National Gallery, and stopped for a while in Trafalgar Square:





Then after a dinner break for Fish and Chips, we headed to the Queen's Theatre to see the show. When we went to pick up our tickets from the box office, we noticed another little sign: SOLD OUT. We were so glad to have gotten the seats we did!


Here's a picture of our amazing seats--you might not be able to tell, but this theatre was smaller and more intimate than any other one I've been too. It was so cool. Even sitting in the balcony you felt like the performers were "right there."



The show was phenomenal! I have never seen Les Mis before, but I had listened to the music and knew the story. All of the performers were amazing. I would definitely recommend it to anyone! And to think, we bought our tickets the night before!

Then we took the Tube (which is an interesting experience) back to the bus station and wandered around for a while trying to find our stop. The stop we went to first was out of commission due to construction, and either because of bad directions, bad maps, or our bad navigational skills, we didn't end up back in Oxford until 2am. Yikes! But I've slept in this morning, and now I'm off to do the loads of work I should have done yesterday. But I definitely don't regret a minute of the trip!!

Talk to you soon!!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment